Friday, January 14, 2011

Xavi

A few days back my husband got a phone call from one of his childhood friend’s wife saying that she wanted some money urgently. She said that her husband was in the hospital with festered foot and there was swelling up to his knees. He is diabetic.

My husband and this friend, Xavi (name changed) were classmates in school. They were together for everything, be it good or bad. Xavi came from a financially backward family. Xavi did not complete his school as learning was only secondary for him. He later went to the Persian Gulf in search of an employment. He did not succeed in finding one. He came back to Kerala and led a very reckless life. When time came for marriage it was difficult to find a suitable girl for Xavi. Thanks to his reputation!!! It took many years for him to find a bride. Finally he married an issue less widow. He earned his living from a vegetable shop which was run by him. He was leading quite a happy life.

Around five years back we heard he had diabetes. One year back two of his toes were amputated. Now he is in the hospital waiting for the amputation of his leg.

Now coming back, his wife wanted money. I felt my husband should give him what ever help he needed. Finally the next day when Xavi’s wife rang up my husband asked her to come and collect the money. She said that she was in the hospital and she was not in a position to leave Xavi alone. She said she would ask her son to collect the money. It was around 9:30 pm that her son came to collect the money. He took the money and instead of going home he walked in the opposite direction. My husband asked him as to where he was going and his reply was heart rendering.

“Aharam medikan pokuva,” [“Going to buy food”]
“Entha? aharam kazhichille ithu vere?” [“Why? Didn’t you have your food so long?”]
“Illa uncle. Randu divasam ayi njangal aharam kazhichittu,” [“No Uncle. It is two days since we had food”] replied the boy

It was really sad. A tenth standard boy and his younger brother were starving with no food at home and no one knew about it. I felt really bad. I am a person who hates to keep left over food in the refrigerator. I make it a point to throw away the excess food in order to keep the kitchen and refrigerator clean. When I was throwing away food, there were two children five houses away starving. I felt very guilty. My sister-in-law always tells me there was so much national waste at my place. I have never taken her seriously. I realized that it was very true. I was under the impression that there was no poverty in our locality. I had no clear idea about the people living there. I realized that there are people living in abject poverty. I learnt that it is not possible to judge people from their external appearance. I also learnt not to waste food or splurge money unnecessarily.

Two days back I heard that Xavi’s leg was amputated up to his knee. I have no idea as to how his family is going to survive. Wonder what will become of his children. I sincerely hope that there will be magnanimous people who will help him instead of contributing to the church and charismatic preachers!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment