Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Edaa Nikhileeeeeee........ I loveeee youuu

This afternoon as I got out of the staff room I saw two little girls of the UP section carefully keeping the milk that they got on the window pane. The milk was in their round steel lunch boxes. I stood on the first floor watching the girls. One of them was a good looking little girl wearing a head scarf and the other was a sweet little girl. Both of them had water in their water bottle – one had a green 7Up bottle while the other had a Coco Cola bottle. Instead of pouring off the water, both of them drank it. It looked as though they did not want to waste the water unnecessarily. Then they were cooling the milk. After that, they poured it into a steel tumbler and emptied it into their bottles. They were taking it home.

Probably they were carrying it home to give the milk their younger ones or parents. They were very thoughtful. I somehow had an instant liking for the girls who thought so much about their people at home. Selfless children are a rare breed these days. The children went back to their places and then I could not see them.

Soon after that, there was an inaugural function in school. Students and staff assembled and the function went off well. The guests of honours were given bouquets – wonderful bouquets with red roses. After the function the dignitaries left the bouquets on the stage and walked off. I saw students rushing to the stage to grab the bouquets.

I came out of the school gate waiting for my husband to pick me up. I saw many boys having a rose each in their hands. Suddenly I heard a voice,

“Edaa Nikhileeeeeee....... I loveeee youuu.”

I turned and saw the same little girl in the head scarf screaming out from the school bus at a boy who had a rose. This boy gave her a sweet smile and he saw me. His smile vanished and he was in a very uncomfortable position. I was standing there not knowing whether to smile and to glare at them (being a teacher I can’t afford to smile at this). I found it very sweet and romantic. (I can see the frowning face of yours :P). The little girl wanted the flower and the easiest way was to propose to the boy, even if she didn't mean it. The boy's face beamed (after all a very pretty girl was proposing!!!) and looked as though he was ready to part with the rose. To his bad luck, I was there looking at him. He must have cursed me as I played the role of the villain (swargathile katturumbu). He could not hand over the flower to his “girl love”.

By then my husband reached and I left the scene leaving the kids there. I do not know what happened after that. Children are changing!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment