Sunday, March 14, 2010

Even I got a driving licence

From the time I remember people said I suffered from dromophobia as I was very scared to cross the roads. I always avoided busy roads. I somehow could not muster the courage to cross a busy road. I always resorted to auto rickshaws for crossing the roads. [I could have bought at least a dozen of auto rickshaws for the money I spent on hiring them].

By the time I was eighteen, my mum was determined that I had to learn driving. I flatly refused saying that I would appoint a driver when I needed one or my husband would become my driver!!! (Fat hopes!! Nothing worked out the way I dreamt). I was actually scared to learn driving. Our car had met with an accident some years back. It was a head on collision with a KSRTC bus and my sister was injured badly. I was the only one who escaped unscathed. My sister learnt driving and obtained her licence when she reached eighteen. I, who was uninjured, did not take my licence until I was thirty!

I decided to learn driving because I had to depend on my husband every time I had to go out, or to drop me at my work place. At times he could get irritated with me. My ego was hit and so I ventured into driving. My first guru was my husband itself. He taught me driving in our old ambassador car. The basic lessons he taught me were

1. I was to use my left leg for the clutch
2. My right leg was used to control the accelerator and brake
3. I was to switch off the clutch every time I had to change the gear.
4. When I braked I had to off the clutch and lower the gear
5. Never keep my left leg on the clutch while I am driving.
6. Never start a car in any gear position. The car would jerk.
7. While overtaking a speeding vehicle I was second or third gear.
8. While going uphill I was to go in the second gear. If it was a very steep slope I had to go in the first gear as it was very powerful.
9. Should switch off the air conditioner when going uphill.
10. Never drive on the left side of the road. It was okay to hit a vehicle but never a pedestrian.

I felt learning algebraic equations were far easier than learning the dos and don’ts of driving. I some how could not remember the all the rules at a stretch. Initially my husband was patient with me. In course of time he started losing his patience. [After all I was destroying the gear of that antique car!!]. I either forgot to switch off the clutch while changing the gear or forgot to start the car in the neutral position. The car would jerk, he would shout, and I would walk out [like the members of the opposition in the Parliament]. Finally I made up my mind to go to a driving school and try my luck there.

I joined a driving school close to my house. It was only at the time of joining the driving school I knew what MDS was. Till then I thought it was Master of Dental Surgery. I always used to wonder why many driving school had MDS on the cars. The ‘Principal’ of the driving school showed a lot of respect to me [reasons unknown to me]. He was extremely patient with me though I did not follow the clutch and brake rules. [The reason for his patience was later discovered. He had a clutch and brake on his feet too].

He told me that I was fast at picking up what he taught me [according to my husband I was dumb as I was an ‘Arts’ student. It seems we “Arts students” don’t have logical reasoning]. Though he scolded others, he never told me anything. Was it because he respected me or was it because he was scared of me? I am not sure about that.

My driving classes went off well. I drove quite confidently when no vehicles were sighted on the road. But if vehicles came in the opposite direction my heart went pit a pat. If it was a speeding vehicle, then I could leave the steering wheel and scream.

I was taught how to take the ‘H’. The instructors of the driving school gave a lot of importance to this ‘H’. I had to learn how to reverse the car (I still hate reversing cars. After all I am an “Arts” post graduate with no logical reasoning!!). Somehow I learnt how to take the ‘H’ Iron rods were kept at regular intervals in ‘H’ position. At particular rods some signs were there. It would either be an empty milma cover or a crumpled bisleri bottle, or a coloured carry bag, or a piece of tattered and torn cloth. At the sight of that milma cover or bottle we were to turn the steering wheel. Every time I was on the driver’s seat, the instructor was there to give me instructions like lower the gear, reduce the speed, stamp the brake and so it went on and on.

The date for the test was announced. The Principal told me that I had to take Rs.300 the next day. It was the fees that each student had to give the inspector for obtaining the licence.

The D day had come and I was to take the much hyped ‘H’ and road test. I dressed up very modestly for the test. A vehicle came to pick me up at 8oclock in the morning. When I reached the test site I saw a big crowd of future drivers. I was also going to become a driver in two or three hour’s time. I was nervous. My heart was beating at an alarming rate. I am not sure if the others heard my heart beats. One of the instructors told us that we were the first people to take the test. He asked who could do it first. I volunteered to take the test first. I just wanted the whole thing to be over fast.

A short, bulky and clumsy inspector came and stood outside. He asked me to take the ‘H’. There were no any milma covers or biseleri bottle to guide me. I was to take the ‘H’. I closed my eyes for a moment and turned the key and started the car. Slowly I went forward, then reversed the car, and finally went forward. And lo I completed my ‘H’ without any problem. There was a loud cheer from the “future drivers.” I felt like Edmund Hillary on top of Mount Everest. I was very happy. I straight went to a shop nearby and bought a bottle of water as my throat was parched. I had to wait for more than two hours for the test to get over for other candidates.

The next was road test. Road test was easy when compared to that ‘H’. The inspector sat next to me. In our car there were two other women and our instructor. I drove quite well. The inspector asked me to stop the car.

“Stop the car?”

I didn’t know how to stop the car. The inspector again asked me to stop the car. I started panicking. Nobody had ever taught me how to stop the car. I lowered the gear but the car kept moving. What was I to do? I started sweating in that air conditioned car. From behind the instructor said,

“Teachereee, aa brake chavittu” (Teacher please brake the car).

I gave one big stamp on the brake and the car stopped with a jerk.

“Ithu enthu chavitta, koche?” the Inspector frowned.
“Ah, irangu irangu,” he said.
I was in a distressed state. I was sure to fail the road test.
While getting out of the car he declared that I had passed the test. I stood at the road stunned.

“Did I really pass the test? He must have just bluffed” thought I

A car of the driving school came and picked me up from the road. They told me that I had passed the test. It was only then I came to my senses. Hooray, I passed the test!!!!

Thanks to the bribe of Rs. 300. Even I got a driving licence though I did not know how to stop the car.

PS
My father strongly protested against my getting a licence since he felt that it was a very grave crime on the part of the RTO to make me pass when I didn’t know how to stop the car!!!
“This is not Malaysia, Daddy. You don't have to know driving. All you need is money,"I said to myself

This is India, man!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment